This contest is for those striving to expel the mythologies around popular topics and current affairs which we imagine them to be and instead show them as something that can and likely will be overcome by science.
Popular science is becoming an increasing part of media and our everyday lives. With Elon Musk manning a rocket team to Mars to save humanity, our first-ever images of the event horizon of a supermassive black hole constructed from data gathered by observatories all over the globe, recent political disorder around global warming and the affects on health, population and consumer confidence, the past year has been both turbulent and fruitful in scientific achievement and discovery.
This is a trending genre spanning hundreds of topics, and including books on culture, environment, neuroscience, genetics, time, black holes, the origins and history of humankind, medicine’s greatest leaps forward and its colossal afflictions, and more. Consider what sustainability topics have done to hatch debate about the economy, environment and sociability of human beings. All of these topics blend the grandest science there is with the minutest details of human interaction.
For this book proposal contest, Publishizer is seeking:
science, sustainability, economics, the future, current issues, current affairs, society and culture, political science, pop science, journalism, phds, academics, professors, coaches, speakers, entrepreneurs, physician, researcher, biologist, geneticist, oncologist, surgeon, naturalist, environment, sociability, astronomy, physics, neuroscience
Partners include: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Penguin Random House, HarperCollins, New Harbinger
Official Contest Rules
- Open for submissions now until 15 July 2019 23:59 EST.
- All entires must be submitted, approved and have launched a 30-day book crowdfunding campaign by 1 August 2019 23:59 EST online on the Publishizer website to qualify.
- All entries must be book proposals written in English and have all elements required including one-pager, compelling video and unique bonus offerings.
- Contest will end once all 30-day crowdfunding campaigns have been completed by 30 August 2019 23:59 EST.
- Publishizer is accepting only original material, that has not been copied from any other work. Entries must not have been previously published, produced or distributed in any other way. Entrants are entirely responsible for all content submitted.
- There are no purchase requirements or entry fees to enter any of the Publishizer book proposal contests.
- Anyone may participate. Entrants below the age of 18 must have parental consent.
- Only one entry per person is allowed for each contest. Any entrant who enters more than one entry per contest will be disqualified.
- This contest has 1 cash prize of US$D500 each and may be subject to local, state and federal taxes. The prizes are not transferable, and the winner is responsible for all tax payments, international chargers, transfer fees and/or monetary currency conversion charges related to all cash prizes. Publishizer will only be responsible for the original cash prize amounts, and not for any additional costs, monetary transfers, charges or fees imposed between a financial or governmental institutions and the winner.
- The cash prize of USD$500 will be awarded to the entry with the most number of pre-orders sold during the contest. Only the number of preorders and readers registered during the 30 days of the campaign will count towards the contest.
- Editors from traditional publishing houses will judge and express interest in submissions based on originality of ideas, quality of writing, relevance of content, and proposal criteria stated in Rule 1.
- In the event of a tie, the contest judges will select the winner together with the founders of Publishizer based on the same judging criteria. An entry can win more than one prize. All decisions of judges are final.
- Winners will be announced on the Publishizer website and social media accounts. Winners will be notified by email and receive information on when, where and how the prize can be collected. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 30 days of notification, Publishizer reserves the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick replacement winners.
- Publishizer takes only a 30% commission of all pre-order sales at the end of the preorder campaign. The commission on preorder sales is final and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. Publishizer takes no commission from future deal authors make with publishers, nor cuts from future book sales after the crowd-publishing campaign has ended - unless the author signs Publishizer on as an agent, whereby the new contract will come into effect.
- By entering any of the Publishizer book proposal contests, an entrant (or legal guardian, if applicable) agrees to the following:
- to abide by and be subject under Publishizer general terms and conditions and the Publishizer book proposal contest official rules.
- to the release of their name, likeness and book proposal for use on the Publishizer websites and social media and for other potential publicity purposes.
- to the use of they registration information and consent to receiving correspondence from Publishizer.
- to indemnify and hold Publishizer, their respective promotional partners, affiliated companies, agencies and employees, harmless from and against any and all injury, losses, damages, costs and other expenses of any kind resulting from the participation in this contest, or from accepting or using the prize awarded.
- Publishizer reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the official rules and terms and condition. Any “spamming”, harassment, suspicious or offensive behaviour and/or inappropriate use of the Publishizer website or email address is strictly forbidden. Any entrant deemed to be engaged in any fraudulent and/or suspicious activity will prompt an immediate disqualification of that party’s submission(s) into all past, present and future contests.
- Any “spamming”, harassment, suspicious or offensive behaviour and/or inappropriate use of the Publishizer website or email address is strictly forbidden. Any entrant deemed to be engaged in any fraudulent and/or suspicious activity will prompt an immediate disqualification of that party’s submission(s) into all past, present and future contests.
- Publishizer reserves the right to change, modify these terms and conditions, cancel, terminate, or suspend these contests, at its sole discretion, in the event of a technical failure, computer virus or bug, lack of contest submissions, unauthorized human intervention, fraud or any other occurrence or cause beyond its control that corrupts or adversely affects the administration, security, fairness or normal operation of the contests.
- Under no circumstances will Publishizer, and their respective directors, employees, judges or affiliated companies be required to award more Prizes than what is indicated in these Rules or award the Prizes other than in accordance with these Rules.