Humanity's morbid fascination with the macabre is as old as we are as a species and an inherent part of our heritage. But there's more to a great plot than the disturbing and the horrifying. We also love science fiction stories which can act as inspiration for scientists and explorers, perhaps seriously predicting machines and technology of the future. One cannot help but remember the futuristic and sci-fi contemporaries that blend together elements of political thriller and apocalyptic fiction between races from another planet.
And then there are the classic trilogies based in desert wastelands with gigantic sandworms or fantastical machines, and societies that feud over power and control. There are also stories that explore the multi-layered interactions of religion, ecology, and human emotion, as well as depict issues like misogyny, tyranny, violence against women, restricted access to education, loss of autonomy, and environmental devastation.
Or perhaps some authors prefer to shine in how they’re able to depict chaos and agony and the meaningless. Or a feminist dystopia where women are monitored and forced to abandon everything from their former lives all in pursuit of growing perfect babies. Or a fantasy that has it all covered: time travel, danger, intrigue, and of course, plenty of passionate love.
For this book proposal contest, Publishizer is seeking a broad range of new and unique sci-fi, crime mystery, and fantasy fiction stories that will excite even the most well-read nihilistic wanderers who dream of new-born farming, robots, aliens, broken detective adventures, and the wholesome endless love epics that spark conversation these days.
How It Works
Step 1: Pitch your book idea to this contest.
Step 2: Complete a proposal using our template.
Step 3: Launch a 30-day pre-order campaign.
For this book proposal contest, all pitches will receive feedback from a Publishizer agent to help complete a book proposal and launch a pre-order campaign by September 15th, 2020. The winner of this contest will be the proposal with the most pre-order copies sold within 30 days, and is guaranteed an international publishing deal.
The top three campaigns win a dedicated email blast to 100,000 target readers and personal connections to our publishing partners. The top five campaigns win free cover design and formatting + one month of Amazon ads support to promote your book once it's published. If you don't win, there will still be opportunity to get published by our various publishing partners.
Previous contest winners include The Halo Effect, Floating in Darkness
Official Contest Rules
- All submissions must be approved and pre-order campaign launched by 15 September 2020 23:59 EST online on the Publishizer website to qualify.
- Open for submissions now until 15 September 2020 23:59 EST.
- The prize will be awarded to the entry with the most number of pre-orders sold during the contest. Only the number of preorders and readers registered during the 30 days of the campaign will count towards the contest.
- Editors from independent and traditional publishing houses will judge and express interest in submissions based on originality of ideas, quality of writing, relevance of content, and Publishizer’s book proposal elements: Hook, Video, Synopsis, Author Profile, Sales Arguments, Audience, Similar Titles, Category, # of Pre-orders.
- Publishizer is accepting only original material, that has not been copied from any other work. Submissions must not have been previously published, produced or distributed in any other way. Entrants are entirely responsible for all content submitted.
- There are no purchase requirements or entry fees to enter any of the Publishizer book proposal contests.
- Anyone may participate. Entrants below the age of 18 must have parental consent.
- Only one entry per person is allowed for each contest. Any entrant who enters more than one entry per contest will be disqualified.
- This contest has a prize of an international publishing deal, in-store book promotion, airport placement, distributed in retail stores, and a high-level of manuscript editing and support. The prize is not transferable, and the winner is responsible for all tax payments, international chargers, transfer fees and/or monetary currency conversion charges related to prize, if any.
- In the event of a tie, the contest judges will select the winner together with the founders of Publishizer based on the same judging criteria. All decisions of judges are final.
- Within three months, the winner will be announced on the Publishizer website and social media accounts. Winners will be notified by email and receive information on publisher interest, deals, and next steps. Publishizer reserves the right to withdraw the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- Publishizer earns a 30% commission fee of all pre-order sales at the end of the preorder campaign. The commission on preorder sales is final and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. Publishizer earns no commission fee from future deal authors make with publishers, nor cuts from future book sales after the crowd-publishing campaign has ended - unless the author signs Publishizer on as an agent, whereby the new contract will come into effect.
- By entering any of the Publishizer book proposal contests, an entrant (or legal guardian, if applicable) agrees to the following:
- to abide by and be subject under Publishizer general terms and conditions and the Publishizer book proposal contest official rules.
- to the release of their name, likeness and book proposal for use on the Publishizer websites and social media and for other potential publicity purposes.
- to the use of they registration information and consent to receiving correspondence from Publishizer.
- to indemnify and hold Publishizer, their respective promotional partners, affiliated companies, agencies and employees, harmless from and against any and all injury, losses, damages, costs and other expenses of any kind resulting from the participation in this contest, or from accepting or using any prize awarded.
- Publishizer reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the official rules and terms and condition. Any “spamming”, harassment, suspicious or offensive behaviour and/or inappropriate use of the Publishizer website or email address is strictly forbidden. Any entrant deemed to be engaged in any fraudulent and/or suspicious activity will prompt an immediate disqualification of that party’s submission(s) into all past, present and future contests.
- Publishizer reserves the right to extend the submission deadline due to any unforeseen circumstances on a per user basis.
- In the event a book pre-order campaign is in the top 3 of this contest and does not reach 500 pre-order copies, it is up to the discretion of the Publishizer team whether or not to pitch the book to traditional publishers.
- Any “spamming”, harassment, suspicious or offensive behaviour and/or inappropriate use of the Publishizer website or email address is strictly forbidden. Any entrant deemed to be engaged in any fraudulent and/or suspicious activity will prompt an immediate disqualification of that party’s submission(s) into all past, present and future contests.
- Publishizer reserves the right to change, modify these terms and conditions, cancel, terminate, or suspend these contests, at its sole discretion, in the event of a technical failure, computer virus or bug, lack of contest submissions, unauthorized human intervention, fraud or any other occurrence or cause beyond its control that corrupts or adversely affects the administration, security, fairness or normal operation of the contests.
- Under no circumstances will Publishizer, and their respective directors, employees, judges or affiliated companies be required to award more than the stated contest terms indicated in these Rules or award the any additional prize(s) other than in accordance with these Rules.